Popular Post

Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Back To Work


I stepped outside of my building and it was cold and smelled of snow but nothing was falling. The wind was blowing and I saw my breath but I had my coat and just a hat on and I was fine. I didn't slip on the way to the car and there was no sign of ice or other weather related obstacles.

Halfway home I stopped at a Subway and gorged myself on a foot-long meatball sub with Miss Vickey's Jalapeno chips. I thought to myself. If the Subway workers have to be here making sandwiches then what makes me so damn special that I get to go home? It wasn't right that I was going home just because it was cold outside! My mom is a high school teacher in Brooklyn and this time of year she usually skids halfway to work and home on the roads. Yup I got back in my car and went back to work. I cannot reconcile that I should go home early when I live eight minutes away and many of my other colleagues live 45 minutes to an hour away. Not to mention all the other people who work at thankless jobs, like retail and sandwich shops, that still have to work regardless of the weather.

Yeah so I'm going to sit here and read blogs at work instead of at home with dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment