Popular Post

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Buju Banton "Before the Dawn" Concert!!



Who said you can't have a good show without having the hype artist. My musical thrust has been satisfied Sun. Jan. 16, 2011 at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami FL! With performance after performance after performance most people will agree when I say, that this has been one of the best reggae concerts that South Florida has seen in a long time. When you say “Reggae” music believe me “Before the dawn” brought back that true meaning and made me appreciate Reggae music even more. The success of this show surly shows how much Buju is appreciated on such a powerful weekend. This tearful moment in time was shared with Everton Blender, Nadine Sutherland, Tarrus Riely, Freddie McGregor, Wayne Wonder, Gyptian, Michael Ross, Shaggy, Ravon, Sean Paul, DJ Khaled, Ace Hood, Busta Rhymes, Spragga Benz, Stephan Marley, Jr. Gong Marley & Marcia Griffins (SIGH) did I miss anyone??? So many came to show Buju nothing but support! Most of the artist admitted that they been waiting along with his fans to see him tear the stage up!

Now to give you a little in site you know I have to give my two senses!

With all the restrictions and rules of the Feds due to case, the beginning was in scrambles. Despite the late entry each and every performance made you forget about waiting in line for two hours and listening to the chanting of a Congo band for another 2. Now I can say it did feel good, even though it was 2 hours; but the vibration of the drums and positivity of the words had you feeling real good. For this to be a pop up show, I have to give it to the stage production team. The show ran so smooth and easy, you did not have time to blink or get a drink. Approximately 6:30-ish p.m. the show finally begins with Richy Lou. The crowd was still antsy due to the long wait so his response was minimal. He was on stage for a good 10 minutes and just as he was going to bring up Christopher Martin, his time was cut. Sad but they already new they had to keep things going.


Everton Blender took it up a notch, but not as much as I thought. His presence was still greatly appreciated by the music lovers that came out.


Nadine Sutherland, what a beauty!! She hits the stage sounding good as ever singing “I’m in Love, I’m in Love, I’m in Love!!” After her tribute to Buju and giving a little taste of the great late Gregory Issac, Nadine really had the crowd going when she got into her bumble and whine tracks such as “Please Me” Snow’s “Anything just for you” & “Action”! She sure did deserve that standing ovation, especially for rocking the tracks solo.


Freddie McGregor
shows who really runs the Big Ship Family! Coming on stage in his teenage swag you can tell his kids has a little influence on him wardrobe wise. But musically hit after hit, Freddie has the people reminiscing from some feel good music that is missing from reggae today. Believe me when I say that the Big Ship can never go down.


The stage kept heating up with performances even by Wayne Wonder & Michael Rose who came up to show tribute to Buju. They did there thing but did not stand out as much as I though they would. But did enough with their presents and the songs they performed.


Marcus from Platinum Kids intermission was the best!!! His passion up on that stage shows what a lot of DJ’s are lacking in the business. Now I truly see why DJ’s are brought down from NY, the vibe is different. You have a few that can bring that vibe, but that we really won’t get into.


Gramps Morgan I am sorry, but he needs his brothers and sister. I loved Morgan Heritage, but that ladies man thing he was trying to pull off was not working. Performing tracks from his solo album, which he stressed, did nothing for the crowd. Then he goes into performing “She’s still loving me” and people started to get excited, but he kept it at this slow get in my bed pace, which was upsetting because I loved that song. I really thought he was going to bring it up a notch, but wishful thinking did hurt my feelings!!!


Tarrus Riely
“Love is Lovely, War is Ugly” is the best thing he could say all night. Being that this was my first time seeing Tarrus Reily live, he gets a standing ovation from me with out a doubt. The man can perform and had one of the best sets of the night. The best part was the battle with Dean Frasier a well known musician from Jamaica.

Even though it looked odd on the Flyer DJ Khaled & Friends did a great job. Bring out Busta was the best ever and that really made hit set. Which made Ace hood slide right in without having people wondering what the hell he up there for.

Hands down the night goes to Shaggy. He is a true performer and had the crowd up during his entire set. Then he goes back and brings out Ravan who along with Shaggy still looks hella good. A bif surprise was when he brings on Serani who gets overly hype and tried his hardest to buss a whine that looked not so sexy. But it was a good look, he just need to calm down a little bit!

Some surprises
Seriously can someone fire Gyptians management team? I Love Gyptian and with all the hype of “Hold You” I was really happy to hear Giselle, who by the way looked amazing announce him as the next performer. Being this was a show with meaning and positivity I did not expect him to fall in to the odd ball category. He did not do “NONE” of the real Gyptian songs. As he enter the stage he did, but then went right back to “Hold You” and “Nah Let Go!” I am sorry but no one cared for those tracks, people wanted music from the humble Gyptian, not the rururururrrrr what ever he does Gyptian. I was pissed off. Yes he did a great thing for popping up, but come on walking with two show CD's is ALWAYS a must when your on the road. By the way he is really looking nice, but PLEASE bring back the humble Gyptian.

Sean Paul still can’t perform. It is so funny how his style resembles some one I know….damn but that’s no important. Really by his 2nd song I was about to fall asleep, but he saved himself by calling on Spragga Benz. Really if I was Sean Paul I would have felt ashamed of myself…The feedback Spragga Benz was “SICK”, the place mash down when he hit the stage. I thought he was going to stay longer then 1 ½ songs, but he didn’t. I was hurt. So was the crowd, because when he left Alley Cat came on and it was back to that blah moment. This really shows that once you go pop, you’re true Jamaicans pop down from you. But all that ice around his neck I know he could give two shits.


SIGH, Man what a show, I can’t stress it enough. Emotionally it just makes me feel like Buju is a real prophet that they are trying to bring down. As Buju had the crowd waiting for the first few seconds of the first song, everyone stood there like god was about to come out. Then when he did the place went crazy!!! It started kind of slow, but the passion in his performance was so deep, it literally brought tears in my eyes. Some people literally broke out in full tears. The night ended even better when Stephan Marley, Jr. Gong Marley & Marcia Griffins hit the stage. That was amazing to see the love and support of such a blessed man. Who was put in a horrible situation. This just shows how powerful Buju Banton really is. NO ONE really knows the situation and he may have let some people down, but we all know the truth behind everything!!! Now I can say this and say it with a meaning “FREE BUJU", a true prophet who wants to rule his own destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment