Popular Post

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

JAZZ IN THE GARDENS 2011 DAY 1 {Video, Review}

This year Miami has been on a roll with good shows and Jazz in the Garden has been added to the list. I actually got to experience both days and man what a show. As always from beginning to end I can not complain about anything! We reached the park, say 4:30pm and as we walk threw the media tent they where introducing Lalah Hallaway.

Lalah Hathaway represents that cool mellow artist that blows you away when they hit that first note. Stepping on the stage looking oh so simple, Lalah set the tone by starting off with the sweet sounds of Sade "Cherish." The vibe and sound of her band was so intense it had me feeling like I was in meditation mode. Lalah vocal skills are like no other in our time, but resemble someone I really love, Ms. Anita Baker. One song she did show off her skills to was "Angel” by Anita Baker. I am a hugh Anita Baker fan, so for Lalah to do "Angel” over and hit the notes on point, I can't lie she was off the hook! Lalah is the daughter of Hathaway, one of the most influential soul artists of the seventies, and Donny Eulaulah Hathaway, an accomplished musician in her own right. Without a doubt she has left a stamp on music with her own soulful style. Words can't even explain so you just got to watch the video to experience the pleasant sound of Lalah Hathaway. If you have not already be sure to check out single. “Where all in this together” and get her new album coming out this year. She did mention it a few times while up on stage, so Lalah I did my part!!!

Al Jarreau is a real Jazz artist, I mean real Jazz. For his age he sure did get up on that stage and move around like a 16 year old. Now I am not going to lie I was not too into his show, because I was on work mode. To me Jazz is something you can vibe too for that real relaxation. Musically I love it and it sure did fit the true meaning of Jazz in the Gardens. However since I was deep in other thoughts, the vibration and smooth feel was passing me by. Al Jarreau and his band did play lovely, but as for detail I can't give any, however this footage can so check it out.


Head of the State with Johnny Gill, Bobby Brown and Ralph Trensvant truly brought back my child hood days. From the time they hit the stage, right down to the end all three men gave the crowd nothing but energy. I am not going to lie they looked tired at some points, but it was like they all had a rechargeable battery; they just kept going and going and going! Shit I'm 29 and can't move like that for 10 mins, yet alone 1 1/2 hours. Bobby was really getting in and flicking his tongue, humping the ground, you know just being Bobby! I love the fact that they all rotated and performed one track from their albums and played as a back up singer for the other. They didn’t give us anything new, but they sure did bring me back to some good old days. I mean waaayyyy back to their New Edition days. I was upset that they did not do my all time favorite "Can you stand the rain," but I was so overwhelmed by their performance and other hits I was truly satisfied. The set was put together well and the dance moves well......they all especially Bobby got an A+ from me! At the end Bobby had something to prove by bring out 2 of his sons and singing "My Prerogative" at the same time. By the way his sons especially the youngest are very handsome. My question is what happen to Bobbi-Christina? *Shurgs* pray they seek counseling for her and soon!


View PART 2 PART 3 PART 4 PART 5 PART 6


Once upon a time I use to say, "Charlie Wilson needs to act his age," but if I had energy like him, I would act the same way. I mean really, the man was moving like he was back in his Gap Band days! He really shut me up with that “Act you age” talk. Now Charlie Wilson segment was a flash back to one of his Gap Band show! From the costumes, to the dancers, right down to him grooving to some of his memorable classics. Evey song had a different costume, but nothing topped the beginning of the show. Keeping up with Charlie was a mission that a lot of artist today couldn't even do.


As always and like they put in the news Lauryn Hill was late! She was supposed to start at 10:35pm and she did not touch the stage till 11:45pm.... Now I love me some Lauryn, but just because she one of the best does not mean she can come late! On that note she finally hit the stage to the voice of Reggae artist, Mavado with her head held high to the sky. Lauryn graced the stage as if she was a true queen. While I was trying to figure out her trendy outfit, it really slipped my mind that I was upset about her being late. Even though I was confused on which way her outfit was going, it sure did look good on her! "We don't know how we & dem ah go work it out" is what she sings as she tries to get her music adjusted! Song after song Lauryn shows why she is the best! She went from Reggae to Hip-hop to R&B, which is a style that is being used so much in music today. Her flow skills are so sick one man screamed out "Music needs you Lauryn, we need you!" It was funny because that just shows how powerful this women music is; she had a man screaming out random things. During her segment people of course started to leave probably because it was late, which I think was most people's excuse. I did not get to see her close the show, but just seeing her live will be one of the most memorable parts of Jazz in the Gardens Day 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment